B.A. English is a 3-year undergraduate course dealing with the various nuances of English as a language, both written and spoken. It is excellent preparation for careers in teaching, media, and advertising, writing, and publishing.Eligibility for the course is 10+2 cleared. The student should have done schooling from a school affiliated to a recognized board.
Why Study BA English?
Each student admitted into the BA English program has their own personal goals and reasons to pursue the program. Some of the reasons why this program should be considered are stated below.
- Multiple career opportunities: One of the major benefits of studying BA in English is the diverse career opportunities that are available. Students can choose to work or study in their line of study or in a completely different field. Graduates from this program are in demand, especially in media and publishing houses, in both the private and government sectors.
- High salaries: Salaries will differ from company to company and according to the job profile. One can expect to earn between INR 2,00,000 lacs p.a. – INR 5,00,000 lacs p.a.
- Higher studies: An English graduate can take admission in Masters of Arts in Literature and then a research-based program after completing their BA English Literature program.
What is BA English?
The program aims to introduce a wide range of Literatures in English. In the primary phase, Bachelor of Arts course has the aim to offer the opportunity for students to be able to respond and read novels of the large spectrum, play and create poetry with associated genres. At a secondary level, the students will be exposed to wider socio-cultural and political issues in relation to contemporary English. This program in English will be serving as an excellent foundation for students who want to do a very deep study.
The B.A. English course provides a strong background in the study of English. This particular program stresses upon:
- Literary Analysis
- Written and oral communication skills
- Critical thinking
through a rigorous curriculum of literature, composition, language and linguistics, and communication studies. Students interested in creative writing may choose this profession.
BA English Eligibility
The eligibility criteria for BA English is mentioned below:
- To be eligible to pursue this course, the student must have completed and cleared senior secondary examination (10+2) from a good school.
- The school should be affiliated to a recognized board like ICSE, CBSE board or any other equivalent State board or any board equivalent to that.
- All SC/ST candidates have a relaxation of 5% in the minimum aggregate.
BA English Admission Process
Admissions into most BA English offering colleges is on merit-basis. Students are admitted on the basis of their 12th standard marks obtained. Some institutes do hold entrance examinations to admit students. The admission season is around May to July of each year when each institute releases its admission deadlines and admission process.
Career Options after BA English
- MA: The most obvious choice after a BA in English is to do a Master of Arts or MA in English Literature. Building up the existing knowledge and choosing a specialization at the master level is the best formula to land high paying jobs in a career of choice.
- MBA: If one wishes to work in management, preparing for an MBA course is the way to go. MBA programs can be done in multiple majors and minors, as per one’s wishes. Pay grade will be high and job opportunities are abundant in this sector.
- Mass Communication: The scope of a BA English student in Mass Communication is quite wide. Mass Comm will prepare students in the technical and creative aspects of working in radios, televisions, newspapers, movies etc. A BA English student is bound to get a leg up in this field.
- Civil Services: Civil services examinations are a good choice for graduates of this course. One big aspect of the civil services exams is being able to frame and write the answers properly. The program will come in handy in this regard.
- Law: Many also opt to study for law courses like LLB. One major advantage of studying a law course after a BA English course is that the standard five-year course can be skipped. Students become eligible for the three-year course instead.